Thursday, January 12, 2006

Secret Pal 7 Answers

I received notification of my Secret Pal the other day and totally forgot that I needed to make a blog post of the answers to the questions we were asked. I guess I was having one of the more frequent duh moments that overtake me these days. Sorry Pal. I am well meaning, but very very, shall we say, other worldly in my brain sometimes.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Sort of but not really. Of course I love most natural fibers with a passion. But that said, I think that Lion Brand puts out some really really NICE yarn too. One of my frequent flyer stops is Hobby Lobby and they are big into Lion Brand and some other brands that I cant remember but most of what they carry is not natural and I do like an awful lot of it. When I look at the labels, I see alot of blends so maybe that is the key to what attracts me.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I learned to crochet many, many years ago. I have cranked out my fair share of crochet. Enough to say that I'm done with that except for the occacsional required edge or whatever. I also do spin. Spinning is new for me and I don't even have a wheel yet. I spindle spin just now. I really enjoy taking it from point a to z and making something totally unique.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have all my crochet hooks (all sizes) in a zip pouch that I've had forever that is made for holding crochet hooks. I have my needles in a Raku vase.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I've been knitting for less than a year. I'd say that my skill level is somewhere between advanced beginner and intermediate. I have to read complicated patterns over and over and some things I just am having to pass on doing right now.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I do but it is insanely long and there is no way I would burden anyone with it.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc) For things like candles etc, I love mulberry, a good vanilla, or a fresh clean linen or rain scent. For personal use I just like something that smells fresh and clean. I adore Pure Grace, which falls into that scent zone.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Do I have a sweet tooth?? Well lets see.....YES!!! I really don't know what my favorite CANDY is unless you count chocolate. Because see, to me chocolate is a whole nuther food group. I like Dove chocolate both light and dark. However, I really don't think that white chocolate actually IS chocolate. Somehow, it is missing the important choco ingredient in there..

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Well, since I get retired (read---put out to pasture) I started my own bath and body business I would have to say that I love to make old fashion cold process soap. I also love woodworking and redecorating. Not that we have a woodshop or anything right now, but someday it would be cool if we did..

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3's? (if your buddy wants to make you a cd)
I like country, country rock, classic rock, pop, easy classics, Norah Jones, Josh Grobin. Anything that I can understand the words and isn't screaming at me pretty much is ok.

10. I love the deep rich jewel tones and also the rich earth tones. I really am not a pastel, easter egg color type person. I love rich teal, saphire blue, burgandy reds, topaz golds, emerald greens, royal purple, rich russet. The only funky color I kinda like is lime green. I have a couple tee shirts in that color that I seem to wear alot.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married with 2 teen age boys living at home age 13 and 14 (what the heck were we thinking??) 2 grown kids out of the nest and 2 granddaughters.
An outside hairbag dog and 2 inside biscuit eater Boston Terrier's, plus one siamese cat.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves yes! Hats, I would if it got cold enough since I live in the South sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Mittens, no. Gloves, yes but I'm hard to fit cuz I have wide hands and short fat fingers. I'd like a pair of fingerless gloves to wear while knitting for when my hands are cold. Ponchos, I don't have one so I don't really know. I probably would wear one if I had one I liked alot.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I like wool, alpaca, silk or blends of the forementioned with acrylics. I like smooth, plyed classic yarns. I also love wool yarns that are good for felting. I don't like to knit with anything finer that sock weight yarn. Even that is really pushing it for me right now.

14. What fibers do you absolutely "not" like.
I really try to stay away from anything that is just a straight acrylic like the typical Red Heart like you get at Walmart. Other than that, I can't think of any.

15. What are your favorite item/s to knit?
Boy that is a tough one. I am a very monogomous knitter, so I don't ever have very many WIP going on at one time. I like doing scarf's, dishcloths, sweaters, socks, felted clogs etc.

16. What it/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Socks. I just got the book Socks Soar on Two Circulars and I am going to master it! I am also a big pattern collector so I'm hunting that perfect sweater pattern. I want something that will make my favorite NORO Koreyon yarn look smashing.

17. What are you knitting right now?
Actually, nothing since I just finished a project. But, today I'm going to start on some socks. After that I'm going to start on a shawl. Oh, and then a bag that I'm going to felt. I have some Icelandic wool that I've spun and dyed that I think will be great for that.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
YES!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
It depends on the project really. But overall I would have to say circulars if I were forced to pick just one.

20. Bamboo, aluminum or plastic.
Yes, I like them all. I invested in my first set of Addi's. OUCH!

21. Do you own a yarn winder or a swift?
No, but both are on my wish list.

22. How did you learn to knit?
Mostly self taught. Internet and a friend and books.

23. How old is your oldest UFO.
Don't have any UFO's

24. What is your favorite animated character or favorite animal/bird?
I don't have a favorite animated charachter to speak of. I do collect turtles if that counts.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
I'm not big into holidays really. I prefer seasons. I like spring and fall.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Spindles, turtles, knitting patterns, books, dvd movies. Oh and the occasional dust bunny.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None, but I regularly buy a few different ones. I plan on subscribing to Interweave Knits and Spin It.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Oh my goodness, of course there is! Noro yarns are SWEET!! I'd love to have a good book that had some nice simple basic patterns in it for women's sizes. (like 14 and above)

Addi Turbo's are nice. Size 2 24" for my socks.

Anything from KnitPicks is good. I love most of their stuff.

29. Ar there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Just get better at what I know. I'd eventally like to learn to make lace.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are you foot measurements?
I'm a wannabe sock knitter. I've tried the dpn's with no luck so now I'm moving onto the circs. If that doesn't work then the answer will be a resounding NO. I wear a size 9 shoe so I guess my feet are about 10" long.

31. When is your birthday?
March 11th.


Ok pal, I hope that is enough info. Whew! It feels like a ton. I'm very easy to make happy.

No comments: