Thursday, January 18, 2007

FIBER GEEK QUESTIONAIRE

The latest edition of the e-magazine devoted to fiber arts has a fun questionaire in it for anyone with a blog to post and answer if they would like. I'm curious to see if anybody who reads my blog will also answer the questionaire too. Here is the questionaire and my answers:

1. Do you raise fiber, animals or plant, or are a fiber user only? If you raise animals/plants...what do you raise? Right now I am a fiber user only, but we are planning on getting some angora rabbit this year.

2. What's your favorite fiber & why? Which fiber do you like the least & why? Well I suppose that I'd have to say that my favorite is wool. I like it because of it's versatility and it's easy spinning. My least favorite right now is that really slippery super fine merino top. That stuff may be soft and fine and spin like butter, but it is so slippery that I have a heck of a time hanging on to it. I wants to slide out of my hands in big clumps or itty bitty threads.

3. What's your worst habit relating to your fiber? Finding great fleeces and enhancing my stash even though I have several on hand that already need cleaning and processing.

4. In what ways does your fiber habit make you a better person? It is a fantastic stress reliever for me plus it helps me to relax and keep my mind occupied.

5. How would your life be different if you had to give up fiber? I have been working with fiber for so long in one way or another that I seriously can't imagine what it would be like to not have my hands on a skein of yarn. I suppose if I were forced to never touch yarn again I would have to take up some other type of art that satisfied my need for an artistic manipulation of color in my life.

6. What tools, yarns, books or gadgets can't you live without? uhhhm....that would definately be my computer.

7. What was your first fiber project? When I was a senior in high school I made my very first afghan. It fit my queen size bed and I still have it. Boy did we ever have some ugly colors back then!

8. Do you have any fiber mentors? Who are they and why? Carol Lee from Wyoming has helped my quite a bit when I first started out. Otherwise, I'd have to say that my mentor's are the hundred's of talents fiber artists who post on their blogs and on the various yahoo groups I belong to and read. I have learned SO much from reading all the posts and blogs.

9. Are you a member of any guilds? If so, which one(s)? Ozark Folk Fiber Guild

10. What's the most exciting fiber project you've undertaken? I participated in the Olympic knitting project and actually completed my Magic Shawl in time!

11. How many people have you mentored? In which fiber arts? I don't know about actually "mentoring" anyone, but I've sure had a lot of people watch me spin or knit and ask lots of questions over the years while spinning or knitting at the ball park.

12. Do you consider fiber crafts to be functional or artistic? Both.

13. What, mainly, do you make? Do you keep, or give away, most of your projects? I've been making a lot of hats this past year for Christmas and I've done several felted purses for swaps. So all of those were given away. I do seem to give lots of my knitting away by swapping, but I do knit for myself alot too.

14. Are fiber crafts an avocation or vocation for you? vocation

15. How many people are you committed to being a mentor for in 2007? I'm not committed to mentor anyone, but if someone asked, I'd be happy to teach them what I know.


I'd love to know how many of my readers will take this questionaire and post it on their own blogs, so let me know! Drop me a line so I can visit your blog and read your answers!

No comments: